Wednesday, June 20, 2012

If only it was about the numbers...

The following will be a list of all the foods I eat or should be eating and their nutritional information, most importantly: calories, carbs, and sugar. While this is mostly for my own benefit, maybe this will help those of you out there who find it as annoying as I have trying to get a concise and accurate measurement of a food's nutritional information. I'm so tired of seeing 8 million different calorie counts for one freakin' apple. Oh, and as I've mentioned before, I'm a vegan so don't expect to find any meat, dairy, or animal products in general on my list. They aren't beneficial for weight loss anyway (or hiding your eating habits). And for natural foods like raw fruit and vegetables where it can be hard to determine a "serving size", I'll either use the nutritional information for a "large" or "medium" serving. It's always better to overestimate your caloric intake than to underestimate. Of course you could always just weigh the food, but I don't have a food scale, and its sort of hard to explain to your folks why your shaving off 2 grams from a carrot. -_-

Fruits...
1 medium apple: 95 cal, 0 fat, 25 carb, 19 sug
1 medium banana: 105 cal, 0 fat, 27 carb, 14 sug
1 cup cantaloupe balls: 60 cal, 0 fat, 16 carb, 14 sug
10 grapes: 34 cal, 0 fat, 9 carb, 8 sug
1 medium kiwi: 46 cal, 0 fat, 11 carb, 7 sug
1 large nectarine: 69 cal, 0 fat, 16 carb, 12 sug
1 cup pineapple chunks: 74 cal, 0 fat, 20 carbs, 14 sug
1 medium plum: 30 cal, 0 fat, 8 carb, 7 sug
1 extra large strawberry: 9 cal, 0 fat, 2 carb, 1 sug
1 cup watermelon balls: 46 cal, 0 fat, 12 carb, 10 sug

I've underlined what has worked best for me in terms of balancing low stats with feeling full. Fruits like apples, bananas, pears, and nectarines should not really be touched, though they do a decent job of keeping you full. Strawberries are wonderful though. Just a few, say 4-6, will fill you up for a while and the cal and carb count is fan-fucking-tastic. And watermelon has always been praised for weight loss due to its high water content. That's really what makes fruit great to begin with, they've all got a high water content that makes you feel full without tasting like...well water. x_x

Vegetables...
1 small asparagus spear: 2 cal, 0 fat, 0.5 carb, 0 sug
1 medium corn on the cob (no butter): 111 cal, 1 fat, 26 carb, 3 sug
1 cup eggplant cubes: 20 cal, 0 fat, 5 carb, 2 sug
1 mushroom (baby bella for example): 5 cal, 0 fat, 1 carb, 0 sug
1 cup chopped sweet green pepper: 30 cal, 0 fat, 7 carb, 4 sug
1 cup chopped sweet red pepper: 46 cal, 0 fat, 9 carb, 6 sug
1 medium summer squash/zucchini: 31 cal, 0 fat, 7 carb, 3 sug

I've underlined what has worked best for me in terms of balancing low stats with feeling full. Honestly, vegetables are going to have to become your new best friend. You can pretty much eat as much of them as you want and end up only consuming like 0.3 calories. Plain raw vegetables can get old real quick though, so I usually end up grilling mine and adding a dash of salt. Don't use oil of course, just use some cooking spray and put them on a griddle or indoor grill or frying pan or whatever. Add a touch of salt and pepper and they taste marvelous. I really don't even like vegetables, but asparagus is wonderful. Stay away from corn (which isn't even really a vegetable) on the cob (though it's not too disastrous if that's all you eat for the day), and definitely stay away from potatoes of any type. They have a lot of calories and carbs. Most people say these are the only vegetables they'll eat because they're so starchy. I find humor in the fact that I'm a vegan who really only like asparagus and mushrooms as far as vegetables go (or fungi). -_-

Other...
1 rice cake: 35 cal, 0 fat, 7 carb, 0 sug
1/2 cup cooked rice: 100 cal, 0 fat, 23 carb, 0 sug
3/4 cup cereal (Puffins Original): 90 cal, 1 fat, 23 carb, 5 sug
1/4 cup almond milk unsweetened: 10 cal, 0.5 fat, 0.5 carb, 0 sug
1/2 cup cooked brown rice: 75 cal, .5 fat, 16.5 carb, 0 sug
1 boca burger: 70 cal, 0.5 fat, 6 carb, 0 sug
I've underlined what has worked best for me in terms of balancing low stats with feeling full. Anything that is made with grains should be eaten rarely or saved for right before a hardcore workout so you have the energy to not faint afterwards. -_- Boca Burgers are fantastic though, they're vegan, taste great, and have wonderful stats, and keep me pretty full for just one little burger (I've never had a beef burger, only turkey burgers as a kid, and I never liked them with buns or condiments).

Phew. There we go. So as far as "meals" go, I guess in the morning either before work or before my workout I'll make myself a boca burger or have some form of fruit. If I feel faint after working out, I can have another piece of fruit. After work I can workout and have vegetables afterwards. If I work the later half of the day I can have another boca burger before I leave. I just have to make sure I eat enough so I at least have the energy to workout the next day, and not almost pass out. So long as I stick to my 2 boca burgers and either some fruit or some vegetable meal plans, I should definitely be within my parameters. I just wish it was only about the numbers. I'm tired of working out so fucking hard and eating a hand full of grapes one or twice a day and seeing the scale go "nah-nah-nah-nah-boo-boo, observe as we display the same fucking weight you've been for the past 5 days". -_-

Miracle of the day: I have one view. Someone saw this journal in Germany. I have no idea how, since there are no links directing anyone here. I should be floating around in obscurity since I don't know how anyone is supposed to find this thing. Yeehaw I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment